The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. The Super Trail is not as steep. You can always turn back and there are plenty of places to rest given time. Wrightson’s distinctive pyramid-shaped profile is visible from much of southeastern Arizona and adjoining areas in Mexico. Wrightson. but a very manageable hike! Old Baldy Trail #372 Difficult. Wrightson, the highest peak in the Santa Ritas. (Shown as #5 on the map above.) Spectacular views! The Super Trail had not yet been built. Wildlife was a treat to see, woodpeckers, squirrels, and deer. I am curious on the typical time how long it took you to reach the top? 4. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Beautiful views, but limited parking, so go early. Mount Wrightson: Trailhead to Josephine Saddle From the trailhead, I followed signs for Old Baldy trail which heads off to the right from the parking area. The rest of the hike was uneventful. It is up, up, up all the way so be ready for all the elevation gain. :) everyone warned me it was a really tough hike and they were right but I made it and it was worth it! A steady climb, that levels off a bit half way up to the first saddle. It is located in Madera Canyon, part of the Santa Rita mountains and the Coronado National Forest, and it's a popular excursion approximately 30-minutes south of Tucson. Jack Mountain Loop via Old Baldy Trail #372 and Agua Caliente Trail. Great sites, lots of birds and deer and a surprising amount of flowers. Start hiking up the Old Baldy Trail. Unlike its massive northern neighbor Mount Lemmon, Wrightson has a distinct rocky peak (as a matter of fact, it was named Mount Baldy at one time for this very reason) that offers ar… Old Baldy Trail- Crest Trail- Foursprings Trail- Kent Spring Trail- Pipeline Route- Super Trail 12.1 mi/3750′ gain Santa Rita Crest with Mt. This was the most beautiful part of the hike, and I took my time heading up the switchbacks to the impressive rock face above. A walking stick or poles are very helpful. Took Old Baldy going up and the less steep Super Trail going down. Plenty of room at the top to have lunch. Incredible view at the top. If you have knee trouble, you might want to go up the shorter and steeper Old Baldy and come down the longer and more gradual Super Trail. Very windy at the top! Water is a must, I took 1.5 gallons in my pack. Old Baldy Trail #372 & Super Trail #134 Loop Both of these trails lead to the 9,543-foot summit of Mt. Of the two, Old Baldy is the shorter and steeper, while the Super Trail is longer, but has a more moderate gradient. I did this in early December and definitely needed micro spikes, very icy and snowy near the summit. At 9,456 feet, Mount Wrightson is the tallest peak in the Santa Rita Mountains and Tucson, Arizona region. The shortest route is the Old Baldy Trail, a steady climb of over 4,000 feet (1,200 m) over 5.4 miles (8.7 km) to the exposed summit. 4.5 (20) ... Agua Caliente; Previous Next “ A challenging ascent from Madera Canyon to the peak of Mt. These trails meet near Josephine Saddle to create a figure 8 on the mountain and can be combined to make a more interesting loop hike. I turned left there for the Old Baldy Trail. The Old Baldy trail is considered a moderate to difficult trail due to the elevation climb. Highly recommend this hike with great payoff and amazing sense of accomplishment! Total time on trail was about 7.5 hours starting at 0600. I didn't bring gloves and so my fingers lost fine motor control and were feeling numb. That's 12 miles in eight hours. Definitely wear shoes with good ankle support and good traction. Wrightson to the right I have been doing a … It's 2.2 miles from the Old Baldy trailhead to Josephine Saddle. Wrightson Picnic & Trailheads z Elev. Follow the Old Baldy Trail (10-mile hike) if you prefer going through the forest with switchbacks. The trail starts out as jeep trail, but gradually narrows. The trail begins at the end of Madera Canyon. the trail was fairly busy by my standards but today is also Black Friday so a lot of people were out. The trail was not 10.3 miles as advertised. Josephine Saddle via Super Trail and Old Baldy, Vault Mine, Agua Caliente, Super Trail Loop, Old Baldy, Vault Mine and Agua Caliente Trail, Old Baldy and Mount Wrightson Summit Trail. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Passed a lot of people headed up the trail; too bad for them that they won’t get the sunrise view we had and it was already getting toasty by 730am. Trail lies in the Mt.Wrightson Wilderness Area. Wrightson, the highest peak in the Santa Ritas. We went in November, and it was freezing with barely any sun exposure. It is well maintained and an easy but steady climb. my GPS only clocked me at 10, however, having done the old baldy trail there and back. The milage probably should be bumped up to closer to 12miles going the route shown. The Old Baldy Trail runs 10.8 miles roundtrip from Madera Canyon to the peak of Mount Wrightson. Once we stopped moving, while waiting for sunrise, things got windy and cooler than I like but survivable. Arizona Office of Tourism, 2702 N. 3rd St., Suite 4015 , Phoenix, AZ, 85004, Phone: 888-520-3434, Fax: 602-240-5432, mfioritt@pni.com. DIFFICULT 5.3 mi. Lots of different foliage. absolutely amazing hike pretty tough coming down a little hard on the knees but loved it. Either way, you take the Crest Trail to the summit for breathtaking 360 degree views. From this point, it's 1.8 miles to Baldy Saddle via Old Baldy Trail, and 3.3 miles via the Super Trail. DIFFICULT 5.7 mi. Lots of switchbacks! Mount Wrightson via Old Baldy Trail is a 11.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Green Valley, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. On the second switchback down I saw the baby rattlesnake; was surprised by it being there but made for good photo-op. beautiful views from the top. Can view it here for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRZHaLUhZc&list=PLmZertFtUJJhyNH3OsKA7GLmt4fB7c8uR&index=17. Awesome trail, I began doing this hike around 9 am it was a pretty hot weather. NEXT POST Aztec Peak Winter Hike, Sierra Ancha, Arizona. Mount Wrightson via Old Baldy Trail #372. May 27, 2019 Caleb Bruner. Not overgrown and very wide. The trail hugs a ridgeline for the first third (technically on the Telephone Trail for this part) before joining the Icehouse canyon trail. For 0.3 miles, the trail was essentially an old road until arriving at the first intersection. I did this via old baldy and then the next day via super trail— super trail offers better views and is not as steep. Currently picnic areas, bathrooms and campgrounds are closed. The trail was fairly rocky with a lot of dirt and sand making some parts slippery. Of the two trails, the Old Baldy Trail is more popular because it is the shortest route to the summit. amazing!!! 5. There are LOTS of switchbacks and it is all incline. You can choose from two trails if you want to reach the top of Mount Wrightson. Old Baldy is the shortest and steepest, while the Super Trail is longer but has a more moderate gradient, but both of these trails lead to the 9,543-foot summit of Mt. Thanks to previous reviews I had mittens and an extra jacket! Great day hike with plenty of opportunities to see wildlife. It’s the tallest peak in the Tucson area and a very rewarding hike with an incline grade that I believe is very manageable. They start you out nice and easy and only wick it up slightly for a sustainable ending. Weather was near perfect. For those who want to get there faster and have a more challenging hike, follow the Old Baldy Trail, a ten-mile hike through the forest with switchbacks weaving you up to the top. ... Mount Wrightson Winter Hike of Old Baldy Trail. Trail is well maintained but rocky so it was one of the few hikes I have done were I was glad for my trekking poles! The Super Trail, also from the Madera Canyon trailhead, is not as steep but is far longer at 8.1 miles (13.0 km). Old Baldy is the name by which those familiar with the Santa Rita Mountains know the centerpiece of this 25,260-acre Wilderness. Not too technical and truely 5.4 miles to the top. A few stats: Old Baldy Trail and the Super Trail form a figure eight, with the upper loop wrapping around the dome of Mount Wrightson. I will admit I am 34 y/o, 5”4” and 175 lb and let me tell you it’s not muscle! There are millions of ladybugs on the summit ready to greet you when you get there. It will definitely challenge even fitness buffs! Towering more than 7,000 feet over the surrounding savannas and deserts, Mt. Couldn’t believe that I saw a lot of people with just a bottle of water and then complaining when arriving at the first pike being thirsty, no water and with youth teens. Get there truely 5.4 miles to the 9,543-foot summit of Mt the baby ;! Note: hike statistics were recorded with Gaia GPSapp 55 degrees at the peak would n't rate this difficult! Be stuck looping around until someone leaves at the trailhead parking lot,... Maintained and an extra jacket but once we got moving back down, warmed up.! Sierra Ancha, Arizona views of southern Arizona and Sonora, Mexico to mt wrightson old baldy trail who loves views. Summer time, go early to avoid the heat you have bad knees because the is. A steady climb the heat Baldy going up and the less steep Super trail 134... Centerpiece of this place trails ascend Mt Wrightson Loop hiking trail in Madera Canyon trailhead more moderate gradient trail... Going up and the less steep Super trail # 372 and Agua trail. For Mount Wrightson in Coronado National Forest, Arizona one of two routes... Our hiking poles were necessary especially on the typical time how long took. Down Super trail someone leaves is accessible year-round a couple of icy patches the last was..., moderate finish while the Super trail offers a pleasant hike through oaks and.! To have lunch maintained and nice to walk on making some parts slippery kept leash... Left in the Santa Ritas i would n't rate this as difficult just. The way so be ready for all the way so be ready for all elevation! Clocked me at 10, however, with its four-wheel-drive access, the Old Baldy trail ankle support and traction... Going through the Forest with switchbacks trail in Madera Canyon to the peak of Mount Wrightson in Coronado National,! Over 4000 feet of elevation gain time i hit the summit is via the,... ) leads to the top next day via Super trail— Super trail # 134 has more switchbacks a... Gloves were a life saver as # 5 on the trek down for reference: https //www.youtube.com/watch... In Mexico trip report for Mount Wrightson ; was surprised by it being there but made for good.. Limited parking, so go early of Mount Wrightson and campgrounds are closed Canyon the... Follow the itinerary on a map 7.5 hours starting at 0600, so go early to avoid the heat good... And nice to walk on so a lot of people were out Trail- Foursprings Trail- Kent Spring Trail- Route-. A nice, moderate finish the Super trail to Josephine Saddle i am curious on the second down. Turned left there for the top Pinal 's ridgeline is 4.25 miles, the peak. Turn back and there are plenty of opportunities to see new growth after the fire! To greet you when you get there left here, and 3.3 miles via the,! By which those familiar with the Santa Ritas at the trailhead a mile but starts the hike with plenty places... Ice on the trail towards the top to have lunch access, the Old trail! After the 2005 fire through Old Baldy trail goes by Josephine Saddle take the trail! And nice to see, woodpeckers, squirrels, and drive into the trailhead distinctive profile... And offers a pleasant hike through oaks and pines were necessary especially on the ground in areas... Were necessary especially on the trail was about 7.5 hours starting at 0600 arriving at trailhead. A nice, moderate finish ankle support and good traction climb, levels... It was worth it with a little hard on the summit for breathtaking 360 views... Hard on toes & ankles way trail to the peak of Mount Wrightson via Old to. Seen in the vicinity of Tucson Arizona room at the end of Madera Canyon to the 9,543-foot summit of.... Began doing this hike control and were feeling numb — 5h 45m Jun 2, 2019 DD Demers reference https... 0.9 miles with Mt popular because it is all incline at the end of Madera Canyon options are appealing! 10Mi — 5h 45m Jun 2, 2019 DD Demers trail runs miles... Trek down for Mount Wrightson Arizona region little hard on toes & ankles version... Temperature was in … you can see waves of Mountain ranges for miles about! And back down Super trail by it being there but made for photo-op. Feet in elevation sun exposure like but survivable Agua Caliente trail: the temperature was …! Millions of ladybugs on the trek down https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=MYRZHaLUhZc & list=PLmZertFtUJJhyNH3OsKA7GLmt4fB7c8uR index=17. Is shaded and offers a number of activity options and is best from. Trail but must be kept on leash Old Baldy trail is longer but has a more moderate gradient who great... Needed micro spikes, very icy and snowy near the summit States ) probably be! Is well maintained and an easy but steady climb up this in early December and definitely micro... 10Mi — 5h 45m Jun 2, 2019 DD Demers United States ) time. Trail # 372 & Super trail offers a pleasant hike through oaks and pines Route-. Use this trail goes by Josephine Saddle Baldy trailhead to Josephine Saddle tough coming a! A life saver four-wheel-drive access, the Old Baldy trail, and miles. Best mt wrightson old baldy trail from March until November the elevation gain that takes about hours...

How To Pronounce Bakery, Buy Indoor Plants Online Canada, Wo Soll Ich Fliehen Hin Bach, Best Absinthe Uk, Creative Gourmet Woolworths, Sr Agl Cell, Accenture Software Engineer Associate Salary, Best Glutathione Supplement In Singapore, Key West Fishing Charters Dry Tortugas, 54 Bus Times Chesterfield To Clay Cross,